Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lahiri sets the pace at Panasonic Open

Anirban Lahiri spearheaded the Indian challenge on the opening day of the US$300,000 Panasonic Open at the Delhi Golf Club with a brilliant seven under 65 that placed him in pole position.Singapore’s Mardan Mamat is two shots back alongside Thailand’s Namchok Tantipokhakul in tied second place.

Anirban Lahiri, a seven-time winner on the Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI), sizzled with two birdies on the front nine and five more on the back nine, including three on the trot from the 16th through the 18th.

“I’m feeling very comfortable on this course at the moment and have managed to make friends with the bushes. I hit it extremely close today especially on the 13th and the 17th. I also closed the round with a brilliant 20-footer for birdie on the 18th. It’s imperative to keep the ball on the fairway at this venue as the bushes are quite unforgiving.

“I feel I am on a roll at this juncture, having won an event on the PGTI last week. I also had a top-10 at the last Asian tour event played at the DGC two weeks back. That performance helped my confidence a great deal as well,” said Bangalorean Lahiri, who is yet to win his maiden title on the Asian Tour.

Meanwhile Mardan Mamat is hoping to rediscover his winning form at the same venue where he earned his career breakthrough in 2004. “The Delhi Golf Club brings good memories as this is where I won my first title on the Asian Tour and if things go in the right direction over the next three days, I think I can relive those memories again,” said the 43-year-old Singaporean. Namchok, who is seeking his maiden win on the Asian Tour, enjoyed a bogey-free round by marking his card with five birdies. “It’s only the first round and anything can happen on the next few
days. What I can do is to play my own game and the rest will take care of itself if I’m playing well,” said the 23-year-old Thai.

Maniram Sharma of Karnal and Vikrant Chopra of the Noida Golf Course
had the next best score among the Indians after Lahiri as they were
tied fourth at three under 69 along with four others.

Jyoti Randhawa and SSP Chowrasia, two of the pre-tournament favourites
from the host nation, are in tied 46th having shot matching scores of
one over 73.

The DGC’s Ashok Kumar posted a five over 77 to be tied 108th while
Gaganjeet Bhullar opened his campaign with a disappointing 78 that
placed him tied 121st.

No comments:

Competitiveness, climate, security Finn’s priorities Ministry of Finance release Finnish road map of EU presidency. Finland is set ...