Sagar Media Inc
Why is BJP's central govt afraid of Madhukar Gupta committee report on DDA?
· Report recommends that the DDA be made accountable to elected govt of Delhi
A shocking revelation proves the real intentions of the BJP’s central government about Delhi, which are highly detrimental for the residents of the national capital.
It is beyond any reasonable understanding as to why the BJP’s central government has been hiding the report of the Madhukar Gupta committee on DDA since more than a year, despite the fact that this panel was set-up by the Narendra Modi government itself last year.
Since the central government is fumbling for answers, it is clear that a committee headed by former Home Secretary of the country (Who was also the DDA vice- chairman earlier) has recommended sweeping changes to improve the functioning of the DDA, which affects the lives of large number of residents living in the national capital.
It has been reported that the committee submitted its report to the union urban development ministry in October 2015 but it is yet to be made public.
Apart from the Madhukar Gupta Committee report, the Aam Aadmi Party would like to put some fresh facts in public domain.
It is not for the first time that a central government appointed committee has recommended that the DDA be made accountable to the elected government of Delhi.
In 2001, a report titled – Delhi 21 (Delhi Urban Environment and Infrastructure Improvement Project), which was commissioned by the Government of India strongly recommended “DDA be brought under the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi.” (The relevant pages of the report are annexed with this press release).
In March 2013, report of the Fourth Delhi Finance Commission recommended “Central government should display its commitment beginning with transfer of control over the local authorities such as DDA to GNCTD…….”
The Committee has blamed DDA for urban mess in the city. DDA has also failed to use the funds accrued and earned through various activities for housing development and catering to needs of the people of Delhi. DDA’s own financials that have been put out in public domain by the AAP today, show the DDA has investments/fixed deposits/liquid reserves to the tune of Rs 22,898 crore and earns an annual interest income of Rs 2339 crore on this every year (Documents annexed). Why haven’t such funds been used for housing welfare of the people of Delhi?
The Aam Aadmi Party has following questions for the BJP’s central government :
1) Does the union urban development ministry deny that it has been sitting over the Madhukar Gupta committee since over a year ?
2) Why is the central government afraid to make this report public ?
3) Does the report hold DDA responsible for Delhi’s urban mess and recommends the DDA to be stripped of its role of land and property management and limit it to that of a central planning authority, which means a facilitator and not a land owner ?
4) Does the report state that elected government of Delhi be given control of land lying unused with DDA since many decades ?
5) Does the report recommend setting-up of a Housing Board of Delhi government ?
6) What is the Modi government stand on implementing this report ?