Saturday, August 5, 2017

LIBYA REMAINS TOP PRIORITY FOR UN MIGRATION AGENCY: DG SWING IN TRIPOLI

ly20170804-1
Themes:
Humanitarian Emergencies
Tripoli – IOM, the UN Migration Agency’s Director General William Lacy Swing returned to Tripoli earlier this week (1-3/08), where he reiterated that Libya remains IOM’s top priority. In what was his second visit to Libya this year, Director General Swing along with Vincent Houver, IOM Deputy Director of the Department of Operations and Emergencies, Othman Belbeisi, IOM Chief of Mission in Libya and other IOM Libya staff met with the Prime Minister Fayez al Serraj.
The IOM delegation also met with several Government ministers, as well as representatives of the Libyan Coast Guard and the Directorate for Combatting Illegal Migration (DCIM).
“Libya remains IOM’s top priority and it is therefore important for me to be back in Tripoli so soon after my last visit at the end of March,” said Director General Swing in Tripoli. “The response from the Libyan authorities has been more than positive and IOM is fully committed to further support and collaborate closely with our Libyan counterparts.”
“This visit contributed to strengthening the way IOM plans and works together with governmental counterparts to ensure the delivery of tangible results in support of the Government’s strategic priorities,” Belbeisi said following the visit.
Whilst IOM’s delocalized structure is built on a strong field presence with IOM staff all across east, south and west of Libya, an increasing number of international staff is anticipated to be back in Libya as soon as possible.
Throughout the Tripoli mission, IOM advocated for the improvement of living conditions in the detention centres and alternatives to detention including open centres and safe spaces for women, children and other vulnerable migrants, registration of migrants following rescue-at-sea operations and the continuous technical cooperation to support local partners and Libyan officials.
During the visit, Director General Swing also met with, and wished 132 stranded migrants a safe flight home to Guinea Conakry. “I appreciate the help provided by IOM and I am so happy to go home, back to my family,” one of the children who received IOM’s family tracing assistance told Director General Swing.
In order to reach IOM’s goal to assist up to 12,000 stranded migrants with voluntary humanitarian return assistance in 2017, close cooperation with representatives of the migrants’ countries of origin is key. IOM Libya invited all diplomatic representatives for an open discussion on how to further facilitate consular procedures.
Director General Swing also met with the Deputy Special Representative and Deputy Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Maria Do Valle Ribeiro, during which they discussed IOM’s scaling up and the continuous close collaboration with the UNSMIL. IOM Libya’s donor countries also received a briefing in Tunis, during which the outcomes of the Libya visit, programme developments and the way forward were presented.
For more information, please contact at IOM Libya, Othman Belbeisi, Tel: +216 29 600 389, Email: obelbeisi@iom.int or Christine Petré, Tel: +216 29 240 448, Email: chpetre@iom.int
Edit"Libya Remains Top Priority for UN Migration Agency: DG Swing in Tripoli"

INDIAN TRIO OF KHALIN, CHIKKA, RAHIL, MAKE A MOVE, RISE INTO CONTENTION AT TAKE SOLUTIONS MASTERS



Khalin in second, four off lead, Rahil, Chikka, Viraj & Sujjan occupy tied third

Bengaluru, August 4, 2017: While Thailand’s Poom Saksansin pulled away into a four-shot lead at the halfway stage of the TAKE Solutions Masters, the good news for India was the rise of Bengaluru boys Khalin Joshi, Chikkarangappa and Rahil Gangjee, into contention.

Even as Poom dominated proceedings on day two of the US$300,000 Asian Tour event thanks to his four-under-67 that took him to 11-under-131, Khalin Joshi, playing at his home course, too shot a 67 to make his way up to second at seven-under-135.

Chikkarangappa, another local lad, came up with a 68 to move into tied third at six-under-136. He shared third place along with Rahil Gangjee, a naturalized Bengalurean, who shot the day’s best of 66. The others bunched in tied third were Indians Sujjan Singh (69), Viraj Madappa (70) and Indonesian Rory Hie (67).

Khalin Joshi, who hit 17 greens in regulation on Friday, accumulated six birdies at the cost of two bogeys. He was exceptional with his wedges setting up tap-in birdies on three occasions. The 24-year-old, who has emerged as one of India’s leading talents in recent years, is now well-positioned to take a shot at his first Asian tour title on his home turf.

Joshi, who gained five places from his overnight tied seventh, said, “It’s nice to be in this position halfway through the week. I feel I’ve done well so far in the tough conditions as the wind has been swirling and the rough is up.

“I excelled with my wedges however I left some birdies out there as my driving and putting were not up to the mark. I’ll be working on these two aspects at the range today.

“Club selection will be the key on the last two days as the conditions can sometimes leave you wondering about the choice of club.

“I began my golfing journey at the KGA at the age of four. So I’ve literally grown up on this course, it’s almost like a second home. I really want to do well here in front of my family and friends.

“The tournament is all the more special for me as it is sponsored by TAKE Solutions who also sponsor me. When the tournament was announced, Mr. Srinivasan HR (Vice Chairman & MD, TAKE Solutions) called me up and told me that this would be my best opportunity to register my first Asian Tour win. I would like to live up to his expectations,” said a confident Joshi.

Two-time Asian Development Tour (ADT) winner Chikkarangappa too made a move as he climbed four places from his overnight tied seventh. The 23-year-old Chikka’s round was punctuated by an eagle, five birdies, two bogeys and a double-bogey.

“It’s been a rollercoaster round. I started well and was under control till the eagle on the 11th where I holed it from 50 feet. But then there were a few setbacks with a three-putt for double-bogey on the 14th and another dropped shot on the 17th,” said Chikka.

The local favourite struggled with his tee shots, making just four fairways in the whole round. But he made up for it with his brilliant putting.

He added, “I haven’t visited as many trees at the KGA as I did today. I haven’t played here with this kind of wind, a side wind on many holes. As a result I wasn’t able to draw the ball. Nonetheless I made some good comeback from tough situations and my putting was the saving grace. I feel as long as my putting clicks I’m always in with a chance.

“I just want to be in red numbers from here on and make more fairways.

“I’m really happy for my good friend Khalin. I hope we’re chasing each other on the final day. I expect big crowds on the weekend with three Bengaluru boys, Khalin, Rahil and myself in the mix.”

Rahil Gangjee stitched together five birdies on the last seven holes during his round of 66 to jump from tied 26th to tied third.

Sujjan Singh and Viraj Madappa also kept themselves in contention closing the day at six-under-136. While Viraj had a quiet day with two birdies and a bogey, Sujjan had a more eventful round featuring four birdies and two bogeys. Sujjan scrambled to make at least three extraordinary par-saves to stay in tied third.

Syed Saqib Ahmed (70) and Divyanshu Bajaj’s (71) presence in tied eighth at five-under-137 made it seven Indians in the top-10.

Among the prominent Indian names, Jyoti Randhawa was in tied 11th at four-under-138, SSP Chawrasia was a further shot back in tied 13th, Shubhankar Sharma with the day’s joint best of 66 was tied 15th at two-under-140, and the duo of Shiv Kapur and Gaganjeet Bhullar were both in tied 19th at one-under-141.

Among the top-31 players with sub-par rounds, 21 were Indians.

The cut was declared at three-over-145 with 67 professionals making it to the weekend rounds. Twenty-eight Indians made the cut.

The big Indian names to miss the cut were Rashid Khan (six-over-148), C Muniyappa (seven-over-149) and Jeev Milkha Singh (10-over-152).

Edit"Indian trio of Khalin, Chikka, Rahil, make a move, rise into contention at TAKE Solutions Masters"

COAST GUARD RESCUES FOREIGN YACHT IN LAKSHADWEEP

Louise, a yacht sailing from Port Victoria, Seychelles to Abu Dhabi on its maiden voyage with two crew, was rescued by Indian Coast Guard Ship Samarth off Kavaratti Island, Lakshadweep in early morning hours on 04 Aug 17. On investigation by CG Ship,  it was revealed that 38 feet long yacht “Lousie” on its maiden voyage from Port Victoria, Seychelles to Abu Dhabi had suffered total power failure onboard and had been drifting on the Arabian Sea since 02 Aug 17.
ICGS Samarth located the yacht at about 0130 hours on 04 Aug 17 about    25 km south-east of Kavaratti Island. The yacht had no communication and propulsion system view total power failure and the crew was braving rough seas for almost 48 hrs awaiting help. Strong winds of 35 knots and heavy swell of 4-5 meters made the rescue operations very difficult. Efforts to take the yacht under tow proved futile. The ship braving the rough seas, however, managed to pick up the 02 crew both South African nationals onboard. The master Gavin Stephen, 25 Yrs and    Marnu Christoff, 21 yrs are safe onboard. The owner of the yacht is Mr. Gregory Pecker residing at Abu Dhabi. The ship is maintaining in area to undertake towing operation at first available opportunity.
This is the second such operation in this monsoon, last one being saving 03 precious lives onboard Yacht “Lady Thuraya” in Jun 17 almost 1100 km from the coast at the fringes of Indian Search and Rescue Region.
Edit"COAST GUARD RESCUES FOREIGN YACHT IN LAKSHADWEEP"

EU BLACKLISTS THREE COMPANIES OVER SIEMENS TURBINES TO CRIMEA

European Commission has decided to broaden sanctions against Moscow on Friday. More Russian individuals and firms accused of delivering Siemens gas turbines to the Crimea have been blacklisted.
Russian Deputy Energy Minister Andrey Cherezov, the head of the department of operational control and management in Russia’s electric power industry Evgeniy Grabchak and state firm Technopromexport CEO Sergey Topor-Gilka.
“Establishing an independent power supply for Crimea and Sevastopol supports their separation from Ukraine, and undermines the territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of Ukraine. Gas turbines are a substantial element in the development of new power plants,” the EU said in a statement.
Western companies are not allowed to do business in the Crimea. The region is under EU and US sanctions since voting to rejoin Russia in a referendum three years ago.
Last month, Siemens said four of its gas turbines, designed for the project in Taman, were illegally delivered to the Crimea by a Russian contractor. Taman is a peninsula in the Krasnodar region of Russia not far from the Crimea.
German firm says it intends to terminate licensing agreements with Russian companies which supply equipment for power plants and suspend deliveries under existing contracts to Russian state companies. Siemens said it would lose up to $200 million from its $1.2 billion Russian revenue.
Siemens says it wants to buy back the turbines, but Russian contractor Technopromexport says it has not yet received a proposal.
The United States and the European Union imposed sanctions against the Crimea after the region of mostly ethnic Russian people voted to break away from Ukraine and rejoin Russia in a 2014 referendum. The restrictions oblige all Western companies to leave the peninsula.
After reunification, Crimea faced problems with electricity because nearly all of its power came from Ukraine. In November 2015, the peninsula declared a state of emergency after four power lines from Ukraine providing electricity to the region were blown up, leaving Crimea in total blackout.
The problem was solved by installing a power transmission cable under the Kerch Strait from mainland Russia.RT news
Edit"EU blacklists three companies over Siemens turbines to Crimea"

A WAR WITHOUT WINNERS: RETHINKING THE 1962 WAR

Edit"A War Without Winners: Rethinking the 1962 War"

LAUNCH OF TWO REPORTS ON URBAN INEQUALITIES. 

Youth for Unity and Voluntary Action (YUVA) cordially invites you to the launch of two reports and a panel discussion on addressing urban inequalities.
Date: 10th August 2017
Time: 4.00 – 6.00 pm
Venue: Auditorium, India Islamic Centre, New Delhi
At this event we will be launching two reports – Forced Evictions in Five Indian Cities (2016) and Identity, Housing and Basic Services in Four Indian Cities (2016). These reports are part of our series City से that documents efforts to address urban inequalities across the country. We will also be launching a series of handbooks on Forced Evictions, Street Vendors Rights, Right to Information and Fundamental Rights.
The launch will be followed by a panel discussion on ‘Urban Inequalities: Threats to Habitat, Livelihood and Basic Services’. Panelists include: Gautam Bhan (Indian Institute of Human Settlements), Madhuresh Kumar (National Alliance of People’s Movements), Shivani Chaudhry (Housing and Land Rights Network) and Pooja Yadav (Youth for Unity and Voluntary Action).
4:00 – 4:15 – Registration
4:15 – 4:30 – Introductory Note
4:30 – 5:45 – Panel Discussion
5:45 – 6:00 – Report and handbook launch
6:00 on wards – High Tea
We would be grateful if you could join us
RSVP: Brishti Banerjee
Edit"Launch of two reports on urban inequalities. "

Edit

No comments:

INDUSTRIAL FOODS AND CULTURAL IDENTITIES IN INDIA AUGUST 17, 2017 LEAVE A COMMENT ON INDUSTRIAL FOODS AND CULTURAL IDENTITIES IN INDIA ...